ERV Easy to Read Version
Nations Grow and Spread
This is the history of the families of Shem, Ham, and Japheth. They are Noah’s sons. These men had children after the flood.
• Japheth’s sons were Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meschech, and Tiras.
• Gomer’s sons were Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah.
• Javan’s sons were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
• All of the people who lived in the area around the Mediterranean Sea came from these sons of Japheth.
• The people separated and went to different countries according to languages, families, and nations.
• Ham’s sons were Cush (Ethopia), Mizraim (Egypt), Put, and Canaan.
• Cush’s sons were Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca.
• Raamah’s sons were Sheba and Dedan.
• Cush had a son named Nimrod who was very powerful on earth. He was a great hunter before the Lord.
• Nimrod is compared to other men like him.
• Nimrod’s kingdom spread from Babylon to Erech, to Akkad, and then to Calneh in the land of Babylonia.
• Nimrod went into Assyria. In Assyria, Nimrod built the cities of Nineveh, Rehoboth Ir, Calah, and Resen.
• Resen is the city between Nineveh and Calah, the big city.
• Mizraim was the father of the people of Lud, Anam, Lehab, Naphtuh, Pathrus, Casluh, and Caphtor.
• The Philistine people came from Casluh.
• Canaan was the father of Sidon. Sidon was Canaan’s first son.
• Canaan was the father of Hittites, Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites, Hivites, Arkites, Sinites,
• Canaan was the father of Arvadites, Zemarites, Hamathites.
• The families of Canaan spread to different parts of the world.
• The land where the Canaanites lived went from Sidon down along the coast to Gerar.
• The Canaan land continued from Gaza as far east as Sodom and Gomorrah.
• The Canaan land stretched out from Admah and Zeboiim and north to Laish.
• All of these people were descendants of Ham. They are arranged by families, languages, countries and nations.
• Shem was Japheth’s older brother. One of Shem’s descendants was Eber, the father of all of the Hebrew people.
• Shem’s sons were Elam, Asshur, Arphaxad, Lud, and Aram.
• Aram’s sons were Uz, Hul, Gether, and Mash.
• Arphaxad was the father of Shelah.
• Shelah was the father of Eber.
• Eber was the father of two sons.
• One was named Peleg. He was given this name because the earth was divided during his life.
• The other son was named Joktan.
• Joktan was the father of Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, Obal, Abimael, Sheba,
• Joktan’s family continued with Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab.
• All of these people were Joktan’s sons.
• They lived in the area between Mesha and the hill country in the East. Mesha was toward the country of Sephar.
• These are the people from the family of Shem and are arranged by families, languages, countries and nations.
• This is the list of the families from Noah’s sons. They are arranged according to their nations.
• From these families came all the people who spread across the earth after the flood.